From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Xorg installation
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 20:50:53
1 Dear alpha list,
2
3 Seems pretty quiet, but I'll try anyway.
4
5 I installed Gentoo a few days ago on a PWS500a. (says au)
6 I told it to emerge xorg-x11.
7 A simple "startx" made an effort to auto-configure. Now it goes
8 directly to a black screen with a cursor and some yellow artifacts, but
9 the computer is locked up.
10 Xorg -configure reports failure, but it does write xorg.conf.new in the
11 home directory. Xorg -config with that file gives a black screen and
12 locks up.
13 Either way doesn't leave any messages in the log file.
14
15 There were some "warnings" after emerge finished, but I didn't write
16 them down. I thought I'd see something on a google search, but that was
17 a mistake.
18
19 FWIW, the video card is a PCI nVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 256MB. It
20 worked a couple years ago with Debian and FreeBSD alpha Xorg installations.
21
22 Gentoo packages reports xorg 1.13.4 is stable for alpha. Any advice is
23 appreciated.
24
25 Adios, DW