From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: "Gentoo Alpha user list." <gentoo-alpha@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Missing GID/UID for sshd
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:05:13
Rikard Johnels wrote:	[Thu Jul 29 2004, 11:19:19PM EDT]
> Tried starting sshd to remotely install Gentoo on my AlphaStation. > sshd yells at me for not having privileged group > It generates the keys, but stops with: > "Privilege separation user sshd does not exist" > > I groupadd'ed an useradd'ed sshd with GID=65 and UID=71 from my SuSE > instalation > ~> cat /etc/group|grep sshd > sshd:x:65: > ~> cat /etc/passwd|grep sshd > sshd:x:71:65:SSH daemon:/var/lib/sshd:/bin/false > > Maybe something to correct in the Stage1 tarball for Alpha
I've installed from alpha stage1 numerous times using sshd and never had this problem. I don't know what we're doing differently... Bryan is in the middle of generating new stages. Maybe you can give them a try when he's done? Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer