From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Some questions about DS25
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:47:50
1 --- Davide Cittaro <daweonline@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > >>> set os_type Linux
4 > >>> init
5 >
6 > as written in the manual. I mean, what does that env
7 > variable
8 > *changes*. I ask this beacuse it seems that google
9 > is full of
10 >
11 > >>> set os_type Unix
12 >
13 > and Linux isn't mentioned.
14
15 The SRM only recognizes the values "unix" or "vms".
16 When running Linux, leave it set to "UNIX".
17 What this does is actually change the behavior of
18 calls to palcode for the OS running on top of it.
19
20 > Should
21 > CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS be set to y or n?
22 > And why?
25 I believe it should be set to "n". The only time you
26 should need to set it to "y" is if you are running
27 MILO as your boot loader. The only time you should be
28 really running MILO these days instead of Aboot is if
29 your machine doesn't have an SRM console and only has
30 ARC or AlphaBios (like my XLT machine). Ruffian based
31 systems might be an exception to this, but I've never
32 touched one of those and don't remember.
33
34 Jeff D
40 Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
41 http://mail.yahoo.com
42 --
43 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list