From: Richard Simpson <gentoo@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] installing Gentoo for Alpha on LVM and software Raid?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:41:07
1 On Friday 14 Oct 2005 00:14, Martijn Heemels wrote:
2 > I received an Alphaserver 800 5/500 from a friend and want to install
3 > Gentoo on it.
4 > The box has 4 SCSI harddisks in it, and I would like to create a
5 > Software-Raid5 for the / partition. The /boot partition will receive it's
6 > own Raid1.
7 > On this Raid5 I want to use LVM (or LVM2) to create partitions.
8
9 My policy when configuring my alpha is that it is difficult enough as it is,
10 without adding extra complexities. I would therefore recommend that you
11 start by getting Gentoo installed on a separate small hard disc. Only once
12 you have the basic OS together with the RAID and LVM tools installed on that
13 should you try to configure RAID and LVM. Then you can move your partitions
14 over to logical volumes.
15
16 I use LVM2 (but not yet RAID) and that is how I did it.
17
18 Good luck,
19
20 Richard Simpson