From: Paul Baughman <phb1@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] gentoo on alpha 2100A?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:32:41
Hi all,

I'm new to this list.  I searched the archives but couldn't find an answer,
so I'm throwing this out to y'all.

Does gentoo now, or are there plans to make this, install and run on a DEC
AlphaServer 2100A?  I've been told this is an EV5 architecture, but since
I'm not an expert this could be wrong.

I snagged two of these machines and I'd like to get a *nix distro running.

If the bottleneck is lack of a machine I am quite willing to do the
testing, but I can't get the alpha port to boot up at all, so experts
elsewhere are needed.

If this isn't a likely development, does anyone know of an alternative?  I
have yet to find one that claims this as a supported architecture.  I've
looked at FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, RedHat, etc.

I know HP offers RedHat 7.2-alpha but i'm having a problem.  HP has a
'wrapper' CD that will boot the machine, but when I stick in the RH-alpha
install CD (also downloaded from HP) it won't recognize it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Paul Baughman

This sig intentionally left blank