From: Paul Baughman <phb1@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] gentoo on alpha 2100A?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:32:41
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm new to this list. I searched the archives but couldn't find an answer,
4 so I'm throwing this out to y'all.
5
6 Does gentoo now, or are there plans to make this, install and run on a DEC
7 AlphaServer 2100A? I've been told this is an EV5 architecture, but since
8 I'm not an expert this could be wrong.
9
10 I snagged two of these machines and I'd like to get a *nix distro running.
11
12 If the bottleneck is lack of a machine I am quite willing to do the
13 testing, but I can't get the alpha port to boot up at all, so experts
14 elsewhere are needed.
15
16 If this isn't a likely development, does anyone know of an alternative? I
17 have yet to find one that claims this as a supported architecture. I've
18 looked at FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, RedHat, etc.
19
20 I know HP offers RedHat 7.2-alpha but i'm having a problem. HP has a
21 'wrapper' CD that will boot the machine, but when I stick in the RH-alpha
22 install CD (also downloaded from HP) it won't recognize it.
23
24 Any suggestions appreciated.
25 TIA.
26