From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o, gentoo-mips@l.g.o, gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, gentoo-hppa@l.g.o, gentoo-ia64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Gentoo Installer partitioning arch support
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:14:28
1 On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 02:58 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
3 > > Sorry to cross post like this, but this is the best way to reach
4 > > everyone. We at the GentooInstaller project are beginning work on our
5 > > partitioning section, one of the arch dependant aspects of the
6 > > installation. I need to know if sfdisk will work as a scriptable
7 > > replacement for fdisk on all the various arches. If you aren't sure,
8 > > could you test it, and get back to me? Thanks!
9 > >
10 > > Nathaniel McCallum
11 > you can't use sfdisk on ppc,could we use parted for everybody? It
12 > has/should have support for every diskslice/partition format we use and
13 > should allow us to repartition dinamically on x86.
14 >
15 > Comments?
16 The plan was to originally use parted (which I still prefer). I made an
17 ebuild for redhat's parted python bindings (in bugzilla), but it isn't
18 in portage yet (needs a patch and version bump on parted). HOWEVER, I
19 don't believe parted supports all arches. Specifically, I believe
20 parted has "minors" hard coded as type int, which doesn't work on one
21 arch (I believe alpha) as it uses letter based minors. I could be wrong
22 though... But to your knowledge parted DOES work on ppc? Anyone else?
23 Does parted work on your arch? Thanks!
24
25 Nathaniel