From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:05:04
Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:[Tue Oct 26 2004, 06:36:52PM EDT]
> The -fPIC -DPIC definitely made a difference. I've been running Gentoo > since January on this particular alpha but have yet (Xfree or Xorg) to > get X to run locally. Always server core exit on run.
I'm running xorg-x11-6.8 on XP1000 with no problems without needing to explicitly specify -fPIC
> I was also getting lots of: > > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 10 > > Which googling pointed to PIC problems with the compilation.
Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that. Could you point to the pages?
> Xorg -configure always worked okay. Last problem I was having was xfs > giving a floating point exception on startup.
This isn't related to -fPIC. I include -mieee in CFLAGS on alpha which would probably fix that problem for you. (I'd like it if everybody would include -mieee in CFLAGS on alpha... there's almost no code out there that's written to work with the non-ieee behavior, so it's just asking for trouble to build without it)
> The build took 12 hours and I am still getting the ELF errors but it > looks as the X continues to run and doesn't server exit. > (I'm not actually at the console at the moment to see the X though). > BTW, this alpha server 800 with an add-on ATI RagePro3D+TV (Mach 64 > derivative) > I disabled the onboard S3 VGA as it wasn't supported except as a VGA.
Good to hear it's working... I don't have an ATI adapter on alpha to test at the moment. My daily workstation has an Elsa GLoria. Regards, Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer

Subject Author
RE: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11 Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11 Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>