From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Re: radeon questions
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:50:15
1 >Yes, it certainly is. vblank_mode=0 will disable it.
2 That changed it from 60 to 299, with no other changes.
3
4 Since Matt Turner has been reading:
5 I am probably going to file a bug on mesa-10.3.1. It has stopped me
6 from building firefox or seamonkey. Changing VIDEO_CARDS didn't help me
7 this time. Mesa-10.0.4 is the last one marked stable for alpha and it
8 works here. I tried a newer mesa than 10.3.1, but it failed too.
9 I will attach the last 10.3.1 emerge info to the bug report.
10 Is there any other info I can provide that will help?
11
12 >the older ones have a problem where a bus-master DMA transfer
13
14 I read in the FreeBSD documentation that some MX-5 models had a hardware
15 workaround from the factory. Since the problem hadn't revealed itself
16 with my other cards, I was hoping that might apply. Now I know for sure
17 that mine is a bad one.
18
19 >The more recent SRM versions include a whitelist of known-good
20 devices, and will refuse to boot
21
22 The AphaBIOS side tells you about "illegal" cards too. It doesn't even
23 like the DEC SCSI card. The original Matrox card is the only one I have
24 that passes.
25
26 >Try and find out.
27 Of the 3 ~identical alphas I saved from the garbage truck, this is the
28 best one and I'm happy to find a combo that works. If I had another
29 free monitor, I might try another.
30 Actually, in the mean time, I came up with a Matrox G550. I was hoping
31 it might have a driver advantage too, even though the card was weaker
32 than contemporary ATI/nVidia offerings. The kernel driver doesn't list
33 G550 as a choice, but Xorg says their driver does go up to G550.
34 Whatever. I'll think about it some other time.
35
36 Adios, DW