From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Network cards
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:04:07
1 sseekamp@×××.net wrote: [Thu Sep 18 2003, 11:00:27AM EDT]
2 > It came down to plain old bad hardware - I tested out a few other
3 > cards in the alpha and they all showed up in SRM as Ethernet cards. I
4 > returned the D-Link that was not working and got another one - now I
5 > am up and working!
6 >
7 > I still would like to have the DEC cards working in case I want to
8 > experiment with net booting. The errors I get are ierrs in Freebsd and
9 > receive errors in linux (sometimes other strange errors as well). I am
10 > guessing it is just old hardware unless you have a suggestion.
11
12 It's possible you're getting a configuration conflict between the
13 network adapters and the switch/hub. If one is in full-duplex mode and
14 the other is in half-duplex, you'd get very poor traffic flow and lots
15 of errors reported on the device.
16
17 You might try using mii-tool and/or mii-diag to investigate further.
18 Depending on the revision of the adapters (are they DE4xx or DE5xx?)
19 they may also have broken auto-negotiation, in which case you'll want to
20 manually set 10baseT.
21
22 Aron
25 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list