From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] radeon questions
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:20:49
1 Dear silent alpha list,
2
3 I got X to work with my GeForce card and the nv driver. It was
4 functional, but underwhelming. So, I got a PCI Radeon card via eBay.
5 Specifically, it's a Visiontek 9250. The lspci output calls it an RV280
6 9200 PRO. So far, I can't get X to work.
7 Like nouveau for my nVidia card, the kernel DRM radeon module won't
8 load. Running modprobe radeon fails and says "Exec format error." The
9 dmesg output says something about "Relocation (type 4) overflow vs
10 radeon_resume_kms."
11 Question 1: Does the kernel module work with any alpha, or is it just mine?
12
13 Even worse, the xorg driver doesn't seem to work for me. The Xorg
14 website says the radeon driver works with the RV280/9250 chip. The
15 Xorg.0.log shows a long list of radeon models, but none of the 9200/9250
16 models say PCI. They say AGP or IGP.
17 I tried to copycat a google result pertaining to a ppc iMac and made a
18 conf file to explicitly relate the radeon driver to the device by BusID,
19 but that didn't help.
20 Question 2: Does anyone have a PCI radeon 9250 working in their alpha?
21
22 Should I give up? Any advice is welcome.
23
24 Oh, I don't expect my video performance to be very good in a 500MHz
25 machine with a PCI card. I was hoping there would be an advantage with
26 drivers for ATI/AMD vs hostile nVidia.
27
28 Thanks, DW