From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Gentoo/Alpha Status Report
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:33:19
1 Note: this doc can be found on the web at the following URLs...
2 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/status/status-20060621.xml (HTML)
3 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/status/status-20060621.txt (plain text)
7 Gentoo/Alpha Status Report
8 ==========================
9
10 1. Status Reports
11 -----------------
12
13 Preliminaries
14
15 This is the status of the Gentoo/Alpha porting team. It will be posted
16 regularly, but not with a static frequency. All questions can be posted
17 to gentoo-alpha@g.o. The Gentoo/Alpha porting team, has its own
18 project page (just like almost all other Gentoo projects). You can find
19 it at http://alpha.gentoo.org/. Also you can contact us via IRC at
20 #gentoo-alpha on irc.freenode.net. The latest status report can always
21 be found on the Gentoo Linux Alpha Status Reports[1] subproject page.
22
23 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/status/index.xml
27 This status report will briefly discuss the following tasks, objectives,
28 and/or projects related to the Gentoo/Alpha porting team:
29
30 * New Developers
31 * Keywording and Stabilization
32 * Firefox and Thunderbird are Broken
33 * Documentation Project
34 * Alpha Arch Testers Project
35 * New Alpha project page
36 * Donations
37 * 2.6 SMP Kernels
38
39 2. Content
40 ==========
41
42 New Developers
43 --------------
44
45 Since the last status report, the following developers have joined the
46 Gentoo/Alpha porting project:
47
48 * Christel Dahlskjaer (christel)
49 Christel joined the Gentoo/Alpha porting team recently to help
50 with testing kernels on SMP hardware.
51 * Thomas Cort (tcort)
52 Thomas joined the Gentoo/Alpha porting team in early April to help
53 with bug fixing, keywording, documentation, and security bugs.
54 * Chris Gianelloni (wolf31o2)
55 Chris joined the Gentoo/Alpha porting team recently to help with
56 testing kernels on SMP hardware.
57
58 Keywording and Stabilization
59 ----------------------------
60
61 Stephen Bennett (spb) has continued his work with SELinux on alpha.
62 hardened-sources is now keyworded for alpha. Thanks to the work of
63 Stefaan De Roeck (stefaan) and others, modular X has been keyworded and
64 is working well on alpha. The Alpha arch team is also pleased to
65 announce that we have stabilized gnome-2.12.3 and kde-3.5.2 since the
66 last status report.
67
68 Firefox and Thunderbird are Broken
69 ----------------------------------
70
71 The mozilla project[2] has chosen to discontinue the development of the
72 1.0.x versions of firefox and thunderbird. Since that decision, multiple
73 security holes have been uncovered. As a result, we had to mask the
74 1.0.x versions of firefox and thunderbird to keep our users secure since
75 there are no plans to fix the security holes.
76
77 No one on the Gentoo/Alpha team has been successful at getting the 1.5.x
78 versions of firefox and thunderbird to run correctly, see Bug #113944
79 and Bug #131359. If you can help get these packages working on alpha, it
80 would be very much appreciated.
81
82 [2] http://mozilla.org/
83 [3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/113944
84 [4] https://bugs.gentoo.org/113944
85
86 Documentation Project
87 ---------------------
88
89 The documentation subproject has written multiple new documents:
90
91 * The Gentoo/Alpha FAQ[5] - an FAQ intended to answer some of the
92 most frequently asked questions relating to Gentoo/Alpha and
93 Linux/Alpha in general.
94 * Alpha Porting Guide[6] - a guide intended to show C programmers
95 how to port programs written on other architectures to the Alpha
96 architecture.
97
98 Thomas Cort (tcort) has begun work on an SRM console guide. It will be
99 published in the documentation subproject[7] section of the Gentoo/Alpha
100 project page.
101
102 [5] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-alpha-faq.xml
103 [6] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/doc/alpha-porting-guide.xml
104 [7] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/doc/index.xml
105
106 Alpha Arch Testers Project
107 --------------------------
108
109 The Alpha Arch Testers Project was recently created by Fernando J.
110 Pereda (ferdy). The project is meant to help the Alpha Arch Team provide
111 a stable, secure and up to date Gentoo Linux port by allowing users to
112 participate in the testing and stabilization process. If you want to
113 learn more about this excellent opportunity to give back to Gentoo,
114 please check out the Alpha Arch Testers Project Page[8].
115
116 [8] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/AT/index.xml
117
118 New Alpha Project Page
119 ----------------------
120
121 Our project page was significantly revamped by Jose Luis Rivero
122 (yoswink) and Fernando J. Pereda (ferdy) with the help of the rest of
123 the Gentoo/Alpha team. The developer list has been refreshed to reflect
124 the current team membership. We now have information about our
125 subprojects too. Most subprojects now have their own project pages.
126
127 * Gentoo/Alpha Project Page[9]
128
129 [9] http://alpha.gentoo.org
130
131 Donations
132 ---------
133
134 Hardware donations are always welcome. We will gladly accept spare alpha
135 hardware. Even an old AlphaServer 1000 is useful for testing
136 installation media and kernels. More powerful systems could be used to
137 assist in testing packages, to provide developers with access to alpha
138 hardware to port applications, or to assist in building releases. Alpha
139 computers aren't the only hardware that we could benifit from; a SCSI or
140 IDE DVD burner would allow us to test dvdrtools, PCI 802.11 NICs would
141 allow us to do more extensive testing and unmask the wifi USE flag
142 (currently only 1 dev has an alpha with wireless), PDAs would allow us
143 to test PDA applications and unmask the pda USE flag. If you would like
144 to make a donation, please drop by #gentoo-alpha on irc.freenode.net or
145 send an e-mail to alpha@g.o.
146
147 2.6 SMP Kernels
149
150 The Linux kernel developers have been working hard on the Alpha port.
151 SMP is functional again and has been tested by a number of developers
152 and users in #gentoo-alpha. 2.6.15.1 and 2.6.16.19 have both been tested
153 on SMP hardware with good results.