From: Bill.Glessner@×××.EDU
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Problem installing gentoo linux/genkernel environ on alpha platform
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:03:27
1 I have been trying to install gentoo linux on a miata-class alpha platform and,
2 after following the instructions in the gentoo linux handbook, I still can't
3 seem to achieve a working system.
4 I am using a livecd burned from the gentoo-alpha-2004_2-20040730.iso download.
5 I used a stage1 tarball stage1-alpha-20040730.tbz2 to perform the installation,
6 and all seemed to go according to the gentoo handbook instructions. I chose the
7 genkernel option, and its creation/build also seemed to match the gentoo
8 handbook material.
9 The kernel version is kernel-2.4.21-alpha-r12. The step where the system disk
10 is made bootable and a bootloader is configured is where I seem to be failing.
11 I chose to configure/use the aboot bootloader; however, I can't seem to find
12 any directions, other than some minimal general material in the aboot, abootconf
13 and aboot.conf man pages, which describe how to set up abbot and boot the
14 kernel built during the installation.
15 Am I using the most recent, stable gentoo linux installation distribution for
16 the alpha platform?
17 Has anyone successfully built a genkernel from the above distribution and
18 booted it? If so, how did you set up the aboot environment?
19 The specific problem I am having is:
20
21 boot dkc0 -fl "i"
22
23 ...stuff leading to the aboot scondary bootloader menu...
24 jumping to bootstrap code
25 aboot: Linux/Alpha SRM bootloader version 0.9bpre
26 aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.22
27 aboot: booting from device 'SCSI 0 1009 0 0 0 0 0'
28 aboot: valid disklabel found: 3 partitions.
29 Welcome to aboot 0.9bpre
30 Commands:
31 (the menu)
32
33 I give the command (wrapped for readability)
34
35 b /boot/kernel-2.4.21-alpha-r12 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-alpha-r12
36 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda2 init=/linuxrc
37
38 the boot begins with loading the kernel after a number of device/driver
39 configurations but hangs at the point
40
41 IP protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
42 IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
43 TCP: Hash table configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
44 NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
45 FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
46 You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem
47
48 <...a sample mount command...>
49
50 >>>WARNING<<< Wrong ufstype may corrupt your filesystem, default is ufstype=old
51 ufs_read_super: bad magic number
52 read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 64, size 1024)
53 read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 8, size 1024)
54 kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
55
56 The dkc0 disk label has 3 partitions:
57 a: the swap partition (starting at cylinder 3)
58 b: the root partition with filesystem type ext2
59 c: the whole disk partition
60
61 I have probably missed/misundertood an installation step or haven't guessed the
62 correct aboot command so, if someone could provide an example of a working
63 aboot environment for a working alpha gentoo linux installation, I would
64 appreciate it.
65
66 Thanks for your help
67 Bill Glessner - System programmer