From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: 'Jeff Donsbach' <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] another Portage problem
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:02:37
It was the same problem I had with my server 10 days ago.  The new portage
re-did the /var/cache/edb to /var/lib/portage/

Here's a snippet from the gentoo site.

FHS compliance

This new Portage release introduces some file relocations:

    * The virtuals file (/var/cache/edb/virtuals) is no longer used. It is
now calculated transparently.
    * The world-file is now located inside /var/lib/portage instead of
    * /etc/portage/profile/virtuals is for user configurations only.

Thanks to the relocation of the world-file and dynamic checking of the
virtuals, Portage is now FHS-compliant. For instance, data within /var/cache
can be removed at will - it is actually cache data now.

You can read more:

Brian Parkhurst