From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: kloeri@g.o, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:56:56
1 Thanks for the clarification. Some of the information floating around out
2 there is a bit vague and piecing together an answer has been somewhat of a
3 challenge. You did it in about 2 paragraphs.
4
5 This really answers most of the questions I've been trying to figure out for
6 the last many months. I new it had to be possible as X was running on this
7 machine (Compaq RH 7.3 distro), prior to my building out the Gentoo.
8
9 Things to do on my part:
10
11 1. Check my kernel build to confirm the floating point completion is
12 enabled in kernel
13 2. Add mieee to my CFLAGS (my CXXFLAGS pick-up my CFLAGS)
14 3. Try the USE="dlloader" flag
15 3a. alternatively try patching the Xorg elf-loader
16
17 Brian Parkhurst.
20 ----- Original Message -----
21 From: <kloeri@g.o>
22 To: <gentoo-alpha@l.g.o>
23 Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 7:36 PM
24 Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
27 > Just to clear up any possible confusion regarding both -mieee and PIC
28 code.
29 >
30 > Alpha processors prior to ev6 require a little help from libc / the kernel
31 to be IEEE compatible. Most code require this as Aron already mentioned. You
32 need to add -mieee to CFLAGS and it's cousin CXXFLAGS as well as enable
33 floating point completion in the kernel for this to work. Stuff like opengl
34 will probably break without this support.
35 >
36 > Regarding the possible PIC issues: shared libraries should be
37 compiled -fPIC (or -fpic) or you'll get linking errors on some archs. x86 is
38 mostly unaffected by this but you'll find that alpha complains loudly if
39 you'll try to link PIC and non-PIC code. Usually this results in errors
40 during the compilation aborting your emerge. Xfree and xorg-x11 is a little
41 different as it loads the driver modules dynamically at run-time using it's
42 own elf loader. This is also the reason that you'll see 'unsupported elf
43 relocation type' errors - the built-in elf loader doesn't support all the
44 relocation types that binutils does.
45 >
46 > There's basically two ways to solve this:
47 > 1. Patch the X elf loader to support all relocation types. There's some
48 patches floating around already that does this - at least to some extent.
49 > 2. Use dlload() instead of the built-in elf loader. You can turn on this
50 behaviour using USE="dlloader" and remerging xfree / xorg-x11. Beware that
51 this hasn't received as much testing yet as the built-in elf loader but it's
52 used by the Gentoo hardened project at least.
53 >
54 > Hope this clears up the confusion (if any).
55 >
56 > Regards,
57 > Bryan Ã~stergaard
58 > Gentoo/Alpha developer