From: "Jean-Sébastien Guay" <jean_seb@×××××××××.ca>
To: 'Jay Maynard' <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alpha] Gentoo Alpha questions
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:17:47
1 Hello Jay,
2
3 > Which LiveCD?
4
5 The Gentoo-alpha LiveCD, as found at <any gentoo
6 mirror>/experimental/alpha/livecd/
7
8 > In general, you will not be able to boot from a Gentoo LiveCD directly
9 with
10 > ARC/AlphaBIOS. You'll have to use MILO from a floppy. I don't believe
11 it's
12 > possible to make a CD bootable for both SRM and ARC.
13
14 Ok, that's what I tought from my experience with Debian. So what is the
15 preferred installation method then? Start from a separate partition of
16 my existing Debian installation?
17
18 > I didn't have any problems compiling stuff when I brought up my
19 Gentoo/Alpha
20 > box a month or so ago.
21
22 That's good news.
23
24 > I did have to do
25 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~alpha' emerge <package>
26 > several times, but I won't have to do that again, because Aron was
27 good
28 > enoguh to mark everything I installed and am running as stable in
29 response
30 > to my bug reports. :-)
31
32 Err, what does that mean? Sorry for being a neophyte, but
33 "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~alpha' emerge <package>" doesn't mean anything to
34 me... :-)
35
36 J-S
37