From: Davide Cittaro <daweonline@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Some questions about DS25
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:18:22
Hi all, I'm trying to install Gentoo on a DS25 machine and it seems
to be really hard... Anyway, I've just a couple of question:
1- I'm reading the DS25 owner manual where is written about the
os_type to be set. This is the first time I have an alpha to manage,
so I wonder how much is important writing

 >>> set os_type Linux
 >>> init

as written in the manual. I mean, what does that env variable
*changes*. I ask this beacuse it seems that google is full of

 >>> set os_type Unix

and Linux isn't mentioned.

2- I remember of a CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS variable into
the kernel config file, I remeber I read something about its setting
to be able to boot a linux kernel on a DS25. Unfortunately I cannot
find that information anymore. Can anybody help me? Should
CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS be set to y or n? And why?

Thanks in advance

Davide