From: Jason Howe <jason@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Alpha gfx card support for Xorg
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:22:20
1 Hi Marc,
2
3 The big issue with those cards is that starting with xorg 1.13, the
4 driver model changed and a whole bunch of legacy cards lost anything but
5 the most basic 2D drivers.   The result is that even a low spec GUI is
6 kinda painful to use.
7
8 For those cards, you can always use the glint and s3virge in the
9 VIDEO_CARDS section of of your /etc/portage/make.conf and see if the
10 performance is acceptable to you.
11
12 On my DS20, I grabbed a VisionTek Radeon HD3450 PCI card off ebay for
13 something like $30, which just builds with the radeon driver and
14 associated firmware blobs in kernel config, and that's more than
15 adequate for running even a 1920x1200 screen off the Alpha.
16
17 --Jason