From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:48:59
1 I appreciate the feedback. I haven't had the time myself to research and
2 thought I'd ask if anyone else had seen it. Before delving further into it
3 and filing a bug report. (I like to try and figure out the solution or at
4 least part way down the path before filing a bug).
5
6 I knew the runtime was the old compaq java and have been trying to locate a
7 source to a more recent release. Just some of the stuff I've installed on
8 my alpha now doesn't work as the jvm fails.
9
10 I'll try the patch when I get another shot at it and report back soonest.
11
12 Brian Parkhurst
13 brianp@×××××××.net
14 ----- Original Message -----
15 From: "Jose Luis Rivero (YosWinK)" <yoswink@g.o>
16 To: <gentoo-alpha@l.g.o>
17 Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 4:10 PM
18 Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java?
21 > Hi Brian:
22 >
23 > Sorry for my delayed response ... i'm quite busy lately trying to finish
24 > some real live (tm) issues.
25 >
26 >> I've rebuilt my glibc 2.3.4.20041102-r1 recently and now I'm getting a
27 >> strange error with java-config. (mainly I did this because the gcc
28 >> version upgraded to 3.3.6 ).
29 >>
30 >> Can't load library "/opt/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so",
31 >> because /op
32 >> t/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait, version
33 >> GLIBC_2
34 >> .0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference
35 >> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
36 >>
37 >> Any ideas?
38 >>
39 > First of all, i would like to clarify that java related bugs in gentoo
40 > alpha aren't the first in our TODO list. This has a quite simple
41 > explanation: Only java virtual machine actually in portage is
42 > "java-compaq" which is not maintained upstream since 1.3.1, so try to
43 > solve bugs without upstream support and without new 1.4 (or 1.5) java
44 > branch could be very bad idea.
45 >
46 > Summarizing: java bugs are always welcome (of course) but response might
47 > be very slow or non-existant.
48 >
49 > After this, I have to say that last month i was playing with java trying
50 > to make things work on alpha and i found same problem with __libc_wait.
51 >
52 > I found a patch (in some alpha related malling list) that works fine for
53 > me, if you want give it a look:
54 >
55 > - 1. Download the patch
56 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~yoswink/alpha/libcwait.c
57 >
58 > - 2. Place where you want, and compile it with:
59 > gcc -shared -o libcwait.so libcwait.c -fpic -O
60 >
61 > - 3. Preload the patch writing at the beginning of
62 > /opt/compaq-jdk/bin/java
63 > LD_PRELOAD=/path-to-file/libcwait.so
64 > export LD_PRELOAD
65 >
66 > I would appreciate a lot that you report the results, maybe we could
67 > include it into the tree if it solves some of our problems.
68 >
69 > I hope back to have some free time for Gentoo at the end of this month to
70 > continue playing with java and trying to get 1.4 branch in alpha.
71 >
72 > Bye and sorry again for the delay.
73 >
75 > YosWinK @ gentoo.org