From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] java on alpha?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:46:34
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 09:28:37AM +0100, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> Hi there, since Java has been released now with a open license, do > you think it will be possible to have a recent (and decent) java VM > on our gentoo alphas? >
The Alpha team is fairly interested in getting a working Java implementation on Alpha. As we're a fairly small team at least two things have to happen before considering this however: 1. All the source needs to be released and missing proprietary parts have to be reimplemented by the open source community. 2. All the easy bugs have to fixed before we can spend (much) time on Java on kaffe. This point is basically about the very limited free time the Alpha team have to spend on projects such as this. Seeing how fast things progress in kaffe and classpath I'm sure we'll get there sooner than later in Sun manages to release all the source in the timeframe promised. Regards, Bryan Østergaard PS. There might be further issues of course but the two issues above are the immediate ones I'm seeing. -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list