From: Thomas Cort <linuxgeek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Alpha status Dec 2005
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 21:19:39
> What does overlay mean? virtual/jre and virtual/jdk?
A portage overlay is sort of like /usr/portage, but for third party ebuilds. See [1] and [2] for more info. This overlay will include new ebuilds, ebuilds in progress, and existing ebuilds relating to java and sablevm/sablevm-sdk. sablevm-sdk is not in portage yet, but an ebuild for it exists[3]. It provides virtual/jdk, however sablevm-sdk is missing some features (tools.jar) and the ebuild needs some work (for example, if USE="-nogjdoc" then sablevm-sdk depends on antlr which depends on virtual/jdk). I'm a student and have exams this week, but starting on Saturday afternoon I'll have a lot more free time for Gentoo stuff. Keep checking my java notes page[4]; when I have an overlay ready I'll post its location there along with re-written and expanded notes. [1] [2] [3] /dev-java/sablevm-sdk/ [4] -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list