From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Portage problem
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:40:03
Hi all,

I had a system crash this weekend, about 12 hours after getting the 2.6.8
kernel working on my alpha.  (unrelated problem).

I've restored the system to a backup from about 10 days ago but it now seems
my portage database is problematic and the typical emerge commands are

emerge sync seems to work okay
I've successfully run fixpackages.

emerge -uv world
fails after extracting the package with no errors (but doesn't go and
compile it).

I'm guessing that between the time I did the backup and restored it an
upgrade or other emerge had changed the portage tree.
However I am unable to forcefully rebuild the portage set or the gentoolkit.

Any ideas?

Brian Parkhurst