From: "Måns Rullgård" <mans@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Re: radeon questions
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:28:45
1 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Dear silent alpha list,
5 >>
6 >> I got X to work with my GeForce card and the nv driver. It was functional,
7 >> but underwhelming. So, I got a PCI Radeon card via eBay.
8 >> Specifically, it's a Visiontek 9250. The lspci output calls it an RV280
9 >> 9200 PRO. So far, I can't get X to work.
10 >> Like nouveau for my nVidia card, the kernel DRM radeon module won't load.
11 >> Running modprobe radeon fails and says "Exec format error." The dmesg
12 >> output says something about "Relocation (type 4) overflow vs
13 >> radeon_resume_kms."
14 >> Question 1: Does the kernel module work with any alpha, or is it just mine?
15 >
16 > It should work. My complete guess is that the module is too large.
17 > Maybe try building it into your kernel? I suspect that might make the
18 > problem more obvious.
19
20 Relocation type 4 is R_ALPHA_LITERAL aka "GP relative 16 bit w/optimization"
21 so it can easily overflow if things get large. Building it into the kernel
22 should either work or fail to link at all, hopefully with a more elaborate
23 error message.
24
25 Also, which kernel version are you using? Prior to 3.9, the kernel used
26 the -msmall-data option, which made it especially prone to this kind of
27 overflow.
30 Måns Rullgård
31 mans@×××××.com