From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:17:20
--- Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:

> > Most of them that I've seen are divide-by-zero which > is not a fatal > exception according to ieee rules. >
True. I have seen a few of those too, but not as many as the uninitialized floats. But if you then go look at the code, most of the time the authors never intended that divide by zero to happen to begin with anyway and the zero denominator is usually traced back to a lurking bug. That being said, there are certain classes of apps that depend on ieee conformance. But those apps 99.9% of the time know why they need such conformance and why they need to use the "-mieee" option. Unfortunately (for us), most apps that use it are only using it to work around crashes that happen without it, and no one really knows why for sure. Jeff D __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-alpha] 2.6.9-gentoo-r4 kernel on Alpha issues? Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>