From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:17:20
1 --- Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:
4 > Most of them that I've seen are divide-by-zero which
5 > is not a fatal
6 > exception according to ieee rules.
9 True. I have seen a few of those too, but not as many
10 as the uninitialized floats. But if you then go look
11 at the code, most of the time the authors never
12 intended that divide by zero to happen to begin with
13 anyway and the zero denominator is usually traced back
14 to a lurking bug.
15 That being said, there are certain classes of apps
16 that depend on ieee conformance. But those apps 99.9%
17 of the time know why they need such conformance and
18 why they need to use the "-mieee" option.
19 Unfortunately (for us), most apps that use it are only
20 using it to work around crashes that happen without
21 it, and no one really knows why for sure.
22
23 Jeff D
29 Do you Yahoo!?
30 Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish.
31 http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
34 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list