From: Jeremy O <jer.gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] problems with bootstrapping coreutils on hpux-ia64
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:23:46
1 <snip>
2 > I think gcc prior version 4 could cope with the static declaration
3 > follows non-static declaration. Not sure if there is a flag for four to
4 > ignore it. The conflicting redefinition, I'm not sure about.
5
6 Upon more scrutiny, this appears during configuring:
7
8 checking sys/socket.h usability... no
9 checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
10 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: present but cannot be compiled
11 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
12 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: see the Autoconf documentation
13 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
14 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
15 configure: WARNING: sys/socket.h: in the future, the compiler will
16 take precedence
17 configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
18 configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-coreutils@×××.org ##
19 configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
20 checking for sys/socket.h... yes
21 checking netdb.h usability... no
22 checking netdb.h presence... yes
23 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: present but cannot be compiled
24 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
25 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: see the Autoconf documentation
26 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
27 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
28 configure: WARNING: netdb.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
29 configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
30 configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-coreutils@×××.org ##
31 configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
32 checking for netdb.h... yes
33
34 Looks like a problem with the system headers. The Autoconf manual [1]
35 suggests a way to fix it but I don't think that will work in this
36 case.
37
38 It also should be known that I am using gcc 4.1.1 which I successfully
39 bootstrapped via the bootstrap-prefix.sh script. This process to get
40 this working was quite tricky, a) bootstrap gcc with the native
41 hpux-ia64 tools, b) bootstrap binutils because they wouldn't compile
42 with the native tools, c) re-bootstrap gcc so it can take advantage of
43 the new binutils. [2]
44
45 Any ideas?
46 Thanks!