From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] stable keywords for bootstrapping
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:23:47
1 Due to numerous occasions of b0rkerage in the bootstrap snapshots,
2 bootstrapping has failed. A selection of issues that come up:
3 - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q is the latest version in the snapshot, but this version
4 has been removed, and its distfiles have become unavailable (e.g.
5 rsync-3.0.0_pre2)
6 - XXXX/YYYYY-p.q was added in the snapshot, but breaks several packages
7 (e.g. gcc-4.3.0)
8
9 Because bootstrapping is just the preparatory step to your Prefix
10 installation, it need not to be bleeding edge, and preferably it just
11 works, of course. Keep in mind that the snapshots are used for the
12 first `emerge system`, after that an emerge --sync is run and hence
13 the life tree is used for the final `emerge -e system`. The pre-sync
14 stage is the trickiest part, since it heavily relies on a correct order
15 of things, correct dependendies and working packages. The post-sync
16 stage is slightly less dramatic, since in principle the Prefix system is
17 already functional at that stage.
18
19 To aid the pre-sync stage, I am considering to switch to usign stable
20 keywords for the system packages *only*. That is, the bootstrap process
21 is done with stable keywords, all other packages remain ~arch and hence
22 a user has to add ~arch to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS after bootstrapping finishes.
23
24 There is one thing that I don't quite like:
25 switching from arch to ~arch means after `emerge -e system` nearly any
26 system package needs to be updated, that is quite a shame
27
28 So the alternative is to switch from arch to ~arch in the post-sync
29 stage. Thoughts here?
30
31 Questioni is now how are we going to implement this, if we all agree
32 this is the way to go? Do we agree in the first place?
36 Fabian Groffen
37 Gentoo on a different level
38 --
39 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list