From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [RFC draft] Gentoo Prefix updates on Linux
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:24:24
1 Hi,
2
3 We have merged RAP back to Prefix and it becomes the default for Prefix
4 on Linux-based systems. I have drafted an announcement to
5 gentoo-dev-announce. Please comment on the text.
6
7 Thanks!
8 Benda
11 <---
12
13 The Gentoo Prefix team is pleased to announce a major update: RAP[0],
14 the libc variant of Prefix (aka. linux-standalone) becomes the default
15 for Linux-based systems.
16
17 This update improves the compatibility and stability of Gentoo Prefix on
18 Linux-based systems. The visible changes are:
19
20 - Gentoo Prefix uses the same repository and the same keywords as
21 Gentoo vanilla. By default, a package should just work on Prefix,
22 otherwise it is a bug to be fixed.
23
24 - Glibc is installed from Gentoo repository into Prefix, screening
25 out bugs or obsoleteness of host libc.
28 Gentoo Prefix is for bringing out the virtues of Gentoo on different
29 operating systems, the Gentoo Prefix project develops and maintains a
30 way of installing Gentoo systems in a non-standard location, designated
31 by a "prefix". Portage serves as a secondary package manager in
32 parallel to that of the host. At present, Gentoo Prefix works on all
33 the Linux distributions tested by the community[1].
34
35 This noval approach of Prefix has been initiated by Ruud (redlizard)
36 Koolen and Benda (heroxbd) Xu since 2012, and was mentored by Luca
37 (lu_zero) Barbato during Google Summer of Code 2013[2]. We would like
38 to thank our fellow developers for their support and input, as well as
39 our testers, including but not limited to xdej, scateu, yangsheng6810,
40 prefixer, R0b0t1, lightbringer, yegle, nanikata, Steven Trogdon, Marko
41 Vendelin, Martin Mokrejš and François Bissey.
44 To find out more and get started, please visit
45
46 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix
49 Cheers,
50 Benda on behalf of Gentoo Prefix team
51
52 0. RAP:= Rap Ain't Prefix
53 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/tested
54 2. https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2013/heroxbd/5659014549471232