From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix][linux] permission problem mergingapr-util on linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:52:36
On 11-04-2007 15:55:56 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> What if we use "$PORTAGE_INST_UID:$PORTAGE_INST_GID" where currently > "root:0" is used. > On native Gentoo-Linux, these are set to "0:0" in /etc/make.globals. > Note that I did not find PORTAGE_INST_USER here - is this an extension > of prefix-portage ?
Eh yes. But ehm... the problem here is that prefix itself has nothing to do with dropping privileges. We just drop privileges, because there is no reason to have them in a prefix (except for things like ping or traceroute maybe). Hence, prefix has nothing to do with users and permissions here. It is a side-effect which is very much desirable (to me) but actually getting in the way now.