From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix hijacking
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 05:47:06
1 Hi Steven,
2
3 That's a nice step forward.
4
5 Steven Trogdon <strogdon@×××××.edu> writes:
6
7 > Thanks Benda. At least there is a rational reason for what seemed to be a
8 > "hijacking". In my original post I noted that
9 >
10 > eselect profile list
11 >
12 > returned
13 >
14 > !!! Warning: Failed to determine ${ARCH}. Please submit a bug report.
15 > !!! Error: Cannot determine architecture
16 > !!! Error: Failed to get a list of valid profiles
17 >
18 > I was able to make changes to
19 > $EPREFIX/usr/share/eselect/libs/package-manager.bash
20 > so that I could see the standalone profile which now looks a lot better than the
21 > prefix-rpath profile. So now to emerging @system. With the new profile where
22 > will libs be installed - under $EPREFIX/usr/lib or $EPREFIX/usr/lib64? This
23 > presents a problem in installing coreutils with USE=acl. The sys-apps/acl libs
24 > get installed under $EPREFIX/usr/lib64 but apparently coreutils looks for them
25 > under $EPREFIX/usr/lib. And of courses libs were installed under
26 > $EPREFIX/usr/lib on my old rpath-prefix with glibc. My old linker may be at
27 > issue!
28
29 Before prefix-standalone, multilib[1] made no sense to Prefix, because
30 it is impossible with rpath, and we are satisfied with only one ABI.
31 The quote went "Want another ABI? Just bootstrap a new Prefix." There
32 were some compatibility issues between vanilla Gentoo and Prefix, but
33 only a few not a big deal. We carried the patches.
34
35 With prefix-standalone, we build our own dynamic linkers. That permit
36 us to support multilib in Prefix, which we get for free by directly
37 using the mechanism of vanilla Gentoo. That's why on amd64
38 prefix-standalone will have $EPREFIX/usr/lib64.
39
40 Here is what I usually do to migrate from $EPREFIX/usr/lib to
41 $EPREFIX/usr/lib64:
42
43 $ mv $EPREFIX/usr/lib/* $EPREFIX/usr/lib64/
44 $ rmdir $EPREFIX/usr/lib
45 $ ln -s $EPREFIX/usr/lib64 $EPREFIX/usr/lib
46 $ emerge @system
47 $ ....
48
49 After all the ELF pointing to $EPREFIX/usr/lib were upgraded to
50 $EPREFIX/usr/lib64, you can remove $EPREFIX/usr/lib safely.
51
52 Hope that works.
53 Benda
54