From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:43:00
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > We have a prefixed Gentoo disk image here at our office that we
5 > distribute to developers on OS X boxes so they can run full
6 > development environments locally. It has postgresql, memcached, and
7 > other goodies pre-installed with the right USE flags.
8
9 Very, very cool :) I did about the same for Windows here at our company, only in a more generic manner. I have a setup program installing the prefix into a specific location, and adapting the config files to make the installing user the owner of the prefix. I plan to share those images with the public, but am still looking for a place to put them at (1.5Gb for three CD images...)
10
11 @grobian: what about such a place. Should I talk to infra, or will you again? Whom could I contact from gentooexperimental.org for example (although I like the idea of the images being hosted on some g.o server, that would be more official...)
12
13 Cheers, Markus
16 > Presently, the images are pretty much fixed once they're distributed
17 > -- any updates have to come from the person who made the image. It
18 > seems that their username is hard-coded in some scripts and config
19 > files here and there, and emerge is unhappy if run by a different
20 > user. I've changed those entries manually before, but I'm wondering if
21 > it's really necessary that the username be hard-coded anywhere? Would
22 > it be easy to make the code user-agnostic?
23 >
24 > It would be even more awesome to keep installs agnostic with respect
25 > to where they are mounted, but I'm guessing this would be a much
26 > larger undertaking, requiring more fundamental changes to portage.
27 >
28 > Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just
29 > distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal
30 > with system management, but there've been several times when I've
31 > wanted these flexibilities from portage.
32 >
33 > Thanks,
34 > Peter
35 > --