From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] External SVN for 9999
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:02:55
1 On 16-11-2010 11:59:16 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
2 > > is there a reason the gentoo installed svn wont work ?
3 >
4 > 1. Mac OS X 10.5 comes with not-so-ancient SVN
5
6 that is defined by time, and won't hold for long
7
8 > 2. SVN is big enough so I expect long compilation
9
10 many things do, that's Gentoo live
11
12 > 3. I assume SVN is used by portage only as a command-line tool
13
14 it's actually not used in normal operation by Portage, but it may be
15 used as library by other consumers.
16
17 Fixing that and dependencies is much harder than just compiling a proper
18 version that we know what it's doing instead of relying upon some
19 unknown-version unknown-compiled version of a package.
23 Fabian Groffen
24 Gentoo on a different level