From: gmt@×××××.us
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Crossdev in a prefix / bug 384167
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:18:03
1 I have crossdev starting to work in a prefix, via an overlay. So far, I
2 have x86_64-pc-linux-gnu->i686-pc-linux-gnu[-multilib] working, and I seem
3 to be making good progress towards my intermediate objective,
4 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu->x86-64-w64-mingw64[multilib].
8 I'll need to sort through my overlay and figure out exactly what bits are
9 essential to making crossdev work, and, for that matter, whether certain
10 changes serve any purpose at all... Anyhow the good news is, there aren't a
11 ton of major changes involved.
15 The bad news is, the changes I do have are spread out across multiple
16 projects. I'm wondering, how should I share this stuff? Possibilities are:
20 o bug 384167
21
22 o multiple bugzilla bugs
23
24 o Post patches here or to gentoo-dev@×××××.go
25
26 o Put overlay on github
27
28 o ?
32 Is there much interest in this? If so, I suspect I can cook up an overlay,
33 get feedback, and thereby achieve a higher S/N on bugzilla contributions
34 down the line. If nobody is likely to spend any time looking at an overlay*
35 then I'd be more inclined, I guess, to just go the multiple-bugs route.
39 -gmt
45 *The thing I hate about overlays, for purposes of interacting with gentoo
46 developers, is their lack of direct VCS connectivity, which, as gentoo-alt
47 contributors are surely all-to-aware, makes it quite annoying to determine
48 the exact deltas between the overlay and the upstream PORTDIR it overrides.
49 I do have some pretty effective scripts for mitigating this (partially
50 derived from gentoo-alt's scripts for the same purpose), but they are
51 embarrassingly poorly coded and, as a consequence, painfully slow to run.
52 maybe I should just fix the damn scripts and publish those first : )