From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is gentoo-prefix a solution for me?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:47:36
1 2010/8/17 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>:
2 > On 17-08-2010 21:06:28 +0200, Elmar Hinz wrote:
3 >> Either you mirror the current customers server, or you just fetch the
4 >> complete environment
5 >> from your 5 years old subversion. Best you can do both to compare them.
6 >>
7 >> I just want to enter the version number et voilá, there is my original
8 >> environment, up
9 >> and running again.
10 >
11 > I don't want to spoil the fun, but this is practically impossible.  Old
12 > software doesn't compile any more on recent systems for a magnitude of
13 > reasons.  Binary versions no longer run for another bunch of reasons.
14 > The only thing that really works, is a snapshot of the entire system of
15 > a moment in the past.
18 Now, I generally have a 5 years old notebook somewhere. I state that I
19 could compile a 5 years old apache with a 5 years old compiler using
20 a 5 years old live CD, if I have all dependent sources available.
21
22 And that's exactly one of my targets, having ALL required sources
23 available in the projects SVN -- apart from the notebook -- precisely
24 for every single version of a project. It's a kind of time machine.
25
26 But that is not the target that really matters this thread. The other
27 target is the interesting one, to use Prefix to get a project
28 initially running with a setup that is reproducable on different
29 machines.
30
31 Al