From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: 'Continuous Integration' for Gentoo Prefix?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:32:12
1 On 2/3/19 11:55 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 27-11-2018 10:20:52 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 >> On 11/27/2018 09:37 AM, Sam Pfeiffer wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:20 PM Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o <mailto:grobian@g.o>> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I don't want to depress this entire discussion, but it would be really
7 >>>> nice if we could somehow interact with special machines people have at
8 >>>> their company or at home. Prefix needs testing on many different
9 >>>> machines (non-Linux) which usually don't exist in docker images.
10 >>
11 >> I second this - and let me add a further aspect here:
12 >> What I know from buildbot setup is that the master does provide (mostly shell)
13 >> commands to be executed on the slave. This is fine as long as there is limited
14 >> visibility for the master. But when a public buildbot master is being hijacked,
15 >> it feels too easy to execute malicious commands even on the slave machines.
16 >>
17 >> So over a buildbot like setup, I would prefer a Jenkins like setup, where the
18 >> master does provide only trigger information to slaves. And even more appealing
19 >> would be a standalone slave setup, where the master does just receive the build
20 >> logs for the public, without access to slave machines at all.
21 >
22 > So, with this in mind, I've started experimenting, here's my "progress":
23 >
24 > http://bootstrap.prefix.bitzolder.nl/results/
25
26 Nice!
27
28 > The idea is to rsync the result after the bootstrap-prefix.sh call to the
29 > server. I can have setup to be in an "upload" sense. The current call
30 > (which assumes direct access) can be found in the dobootstrap script I
31 > currently use to fire off a bootstrap on a platform:
32 >
33 > http://bootstrap.prefix.bitzolder.nl/dobootstrap (see DOPUBLISH)
34
35 So I'm wondering how to enable myself to provide logs for some more CHOSTs.
36 What about rsync + ssh via pecker?
37
38 > None of these targets are RAP by the way. I think the current CI is
39 > very good at that.
40
41 Absolutely. However, it would be nice if we could integrate the Linux/RAP
42 results into this overwiew as well - besides the Linux/Guest ones, even
43 if they share the same CHOST...
44
45 Also, just've found https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Prefix/tested where the
46 'Last tried' column values seem outdated - maybe CI builds can provide
47 more recent dates there as well.
48
49 > By the way, no bootstraps succeeded recently, so that's the goal to get
50 > that triggered so we can focus on fixing it. Just being able to pull in
51 > the CI success/fail for that would already be a start.
52
53 FWIW, I've created a gentoo-prefix project with Azure pipelines, but their
54 6 hours limit is too small for Prefix on Cygwin. So I've added my own
55 Windows VM there: https://dev.azure.com/gentoo-prefix/ci-builds/_build
56 However, I'm not sure if I should keep that for security concerns...
57
58 BTW, Cygwin 3.0.0-0.8 does have the fork() that works for Gentoo Prefix!
59
60 Thanks!
61 /haubi/