From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo with mingw ?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:44:02
2 > Hmm... I don't see any limitation at the download page:
3 > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=93FF2201-325E-
4 > 487F-A398-EFDE5758C47F&displaylang=en
5
6 Yeah, it seems i was right, and SUA runs on any SP1 vista.
9 > I will take a try some day, even I find installing 500Mb to run
10 > GentooAlt is quite overkill, compared to msys/mingw.
11
12 Interix was what we where using at our company, and so I started porting
13 prefix to it. Wether this is the best or not was never the discussion
14 (although I feel that interix behaves more predictable (not necessarily
15 better) than cygwin. I had more trouble getting software to run on cygwin
16 than on interix). I can't tell about msys, since I've never used it - but I
17 think it's not a very complete environment, is it?
18
19 Cheers, Markus
22 > Xavier Miller a écrit :
23 > > Hello,
24 > >
25 > > SUA is only available with "not home" versions of Vista, even with
26 > SP1.
27 > > Thus "Home" users are left on the side of the road. I think that if
28 > we
29 > > would have a more universal "Gentoo on Windows", we also should think
30 > > about mingwin+msys or cygwin.
31 > >
32 > > So I will take a look at the Interix port and see how difficult it
33 > would
34 > > be to adapt it to mingw.
35 > >
36 > > Xavier.
37 > >
38 > > Markus Duft a écrit :
39 > >>> Hello,
40 > >>>
41 > >>> Is there a projet to run Gentoo / Gentoo Prefix with mingw (+
42 > msys)?
43 > >>> I took a look at Interix but it doensn't run with Windows Vista
45 > >>
46 > >> I thought this was solved with vista SP1? Am I wrong here?
47 > >>
48 > >>> and
49 > >>> I would like a more "free" system, like Cygwin or Mingw.
50 > >>>
51 > >>> What would be the better approach : starting from old cygwin-
52 > portage or
53 > >>> gentoo-prefix@interix?
54 > >>
55 > >> I think the interix version ist he more current one, although mingw
56 > >> will be
57 > >> much different I guess. Still the interix port is the best starting
58 > point
59 > >> you will ever get for this, I guess...
60 > >>
61 > >> Cheers, Markus
62 > >>
63 > >>> Kind regards,