From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] RFC: changing sys-apps/portage python API to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db and similar map objects
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:27:58
1 Hi Zac,
2
3 On 01-10-2011 10:34:02 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > As I integrate prefix support into mainline portage, I think it will
5
6 Cool! and Thanks!
7
8 > make more sense to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db
9 > and similar map objects. This will also affect the portageq commands
10 > which take a <root> parameter. The reason that I think $EROOT makes more
11 > sense for these keys is that it will allow for multiple prefixes to
12 > exist simultaneously in maps like portage.db.
13 >
14 > This won't affect non-prefix users, since $EROOT == $ROOT when $EPREFIX
15 > is empty. So, I'm asking here because if might affect prefix users who
16 > use portageq, or any programs installed in a prefix that use the
17 > sys-apps/portage python API. If necessary, I suppose that python
18 > programs could have some compatibility code which checks whether or no
19 > $EROOT is contained in portage.db, and fall back to "/" otherwise.
20
21 What does it actually mean? Does one have to use
22 portageq envvar CHOST $EPREFIX/
23 instead when this is implemented?
24 That would seem not correct to me.
28 Fabian Groffen