From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] creating a prefix.eclass?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:41:26
2 > Sort of responding to/being inspired by haubi's comment on -dev about
3 > "inherit eapi 4", I wondered whether we should make a prefix.eclass.
4 >
5 > Currently we have eprefixify as function provided by Portage, and hence
6 > ebuilds that use eprefixify cannot be straight ported to gentoo-x86.
7 > Most notable are the eselect-* ebuilds that some gentoo-x86 devs like
9 > give full Prefix support, but simply can't because eprefixify (which we
10 > would use) cannot be used in gentoo-x86.
11 >
12 > So, should we start an eclass with for now eprefixify in there, and for
13 > every ebuild where we use it, start inheriting prefix and nuke the
14 > function from Portage? Somehow I think this is a good idea.
15
16 Hmm, sounds like a good idea. This would indeed solve some of the posed problems.
19 > Since I like haubi's idea about inherit doing the magic for eapis,
20 > perhaps this can even solve the problem we have with our EAPI mungling
21 > (all our ebuilds just inherit eapi prefix to "tag" them) and all
22 > eclasses (it remains a hell of a job to keep it working), as well as
23 > having prefix ebuilds live happily next to non-prefix ones. But for
24 > that we really need Portage to be able to mask based on what's in the
25 > inherit line, e.g. the resolver needs to take it into account.
28 I believe this can be done without too much effort, although I'm not sure if this can be considered "clean". OTOH, why not? This would enable users to express things like: "I want live ebuilds, but none that come from svn" (and thus inherit subversion.eclass).
29
30 Cheers, Markus
33 > --
34 > Fabian Groffen