From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Bootstrap stable?
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 06:49:43
1 Just chiming in on this interesting topic :)
2
3 On 04-04-2019 01:51:58 +0000, Francois Bissey wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > As someone who was involved until very recently in installing software
7 > on the New Zealand national facility I feel I should take exception to some
8 > of these comments.
9 > To put things in perspective
10 > 1) I am using Gentoo since 2003
11 > 2) I am a regular contributor to the science team and maintain sage-on-gentoo
12 > 3) I pushed for a while to have prefix working on ppc64 (the hardware was
13 > at some time part of the national facility above)
14 > 4) I have contributed code to spack and help fix some issues with libtool
15 > in spack and occasionally suggests fix to some packages.
16 >
17 > Gentoo prefix is awesome but some areas are not as flexible as spack.
18 > Mainly because it is designed like a gentoo distro as a single tree
19 > install. Everything goes into one prefix.
20 > What spack allows you to do (and that is a usual requirement):
21 > allow and maintain an unhealthy forest of softwares:
22 > 1) across several versions
23 > 2) across various compilers
24 > The whole dynamically loadable via “modules”. Each bits in its own bubble.
25 > This also has limitation of course.
26 > Gentoo has slots that does multiple versions of some software but it is
27 > not a universal feature (nor should it be on the point of view of a distro).
28 > Basically if you want to reproduce some the scenarios managed by spack you
29 > need multiple prefix.
30
31 So what scenarios exactly are these?
32
33 Things like multilib support? We (at least I) stayed away from that
34 feature in Prefix due to its added complexity. I guess nowadays it
35 could be reconsidered (profile change/addition?), even though some of
36 the concepts are flawed, hence the preference for completely separate
37 prefixes.
38
39 Thanks,
40 Fabian
41
42 > That’s not to say spack wouldn’t benefit from a dose of gentoo and vice versa.
43 > But some Gentoo features have been voluntarily avoided :(
44 >
45 > Now prefix was very useful to me to offer a base userland on top of SLES 11.1
46 > (which couldn’t be updated for various reasons) that was much more recent and
47 > feature-full than I would otherwise have had access too. And then I could put
48 > something like spack on top if I wanted to.
49 >
50 > François
51 >