From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Re: RFC: changing sys-apps/portage python API to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db and similar map objects
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:06:41
1 On 10/01/2011 10:34 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As I integrate prefix support into mainline portage, I think it will
5 > make more sense to use $EROOT instead of $ROOT for keys to portage.db
6 > and similar map objects. This will also affect the portageq commands
7 > which take a <root> parameter. The reason that I think $EROOT makes more
8 > sense for these keys is that it will allow for multiple prefixes to
9 > exist simultaneously in maps like portage.db.
10 >
11 > This won't affect non-prefix users, since $EROOT == $ROOT when $EPREFIX
12 > is empty. So, I'm asking here because if might affect prefix users who
13 > use portageq, or any programs installed in a prefix that use the
14 > sys-apps/portage python API. If necessary, I suppose that python
15 > programs could have some compatibility code which checks whether or no
16 > $EROOT is contained in portage.db, and fall back to "/" otherwise.
17
18 Here's the commit to watch out for if/when it gets merged into the
19 prefix branch:
20
21 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=a715b65f7bd36409c1283e6911265d1f4405ab7a
22 --