From: Johan Hattne <johan.hattne@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] How to make prefix using new glibc ?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:23:52
1 On 08/17/10 01:14, Galaxy wrote:
2
3 > I googled and find http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAToolChainOnAMac ,
4 > which says that it is possible to compile a GNU tool chain over Mac OS X, a BSD release.
5 > And since it works on BSD with some tweaks, it should also works on Linux.
6
7 I'm exposing my ignorance here, but I really don't think you need all
8 that. The page linked above seems to deal with cross-compiling for ARM,
9 which I think is a different problem from what you're having.
10
11 As I think of it, libc isn't really part of your toolchain, but rather
12 your interface to the system (kernel) on which your prefix is running.
13 You may be able to compile your own libc--whether it's GNU's or somebody
14 else's--but then you've just moved the prefix-system interface from libc
15 to the kernel, and you've got to (manually) ensure that your libc plays
16 nice with all the kernels you intend to use your prefix on. You may
17 similarly be able to compile a kernel with your prefix software, but
18 then you've really lost the benefit of the prefixed environment.
19
20 // Cheers; Johan