From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] interix preserve-libs
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:47:22
1 On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 10:22 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 22-07-2009 10:10:32 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
3 [snip]
4 >
5 > I think the following will get us up to speed quickly:
6 > - rename the current script to "readpecoff" or something
7 > - ship it with portage for the time being
8
9 ok. i updated the patch -> attached.
12 > Then I'd like it when we could get a scanpecoff (like scanmacho and
13 > scanelf, the C-programs from pax-utils) that does the job, replacing
14 > your huge bash-script.
15
16 puh. i could try to implement such a thing, but to be correct i would
17 need one for interix, and one for windows - that the "readpecoff" script
18 can handle both is more a hack than a solution ;)
19
20 OTOH - why not..? it feels like a good idea to have such a utility. it
21 could detect wether the file is interix/winnt and handle it correctly -
22 maybe i could also lookup the interix shared library section format from
23 the binutils patch, and implement it there - so that scanpecoff is
24 faster than parsing objdump output all the time...
27 > > > At the moment I'm trying to open a docx file from Microsoft that should
28 > > > be the specification of PECOFF.
29 > >
30 > > uh... you won't have fun with that document - i know it by rote ;) it
31 > > does _not_ specify how both interix and winnt handle runpaths, needed
32 > > shared libs, etc.
33 >
34 > I can't even open it. OpenOffice die hard aborts on it (Signal 6).
35
36 hahaha ...
39 > > how interix handles those things is completely hidden somewhere in the
40 > > interix loader/binary format/binutils patches at M$. (However the
41 > > current binutils 2.17 patches are open, so i could have a look at it -
42 > > the patch is about 300.000 lines long ;*( ...)
43 >
44 > I once split that patch into our binutils ebuild for 2.17, maybe it's
45 > useful?
46
47 ah, you did that - i was wondering why the hell the binutils have such a
48 big patch - i could not remember doing it ;) however objdump from our
49 binutils is still unable to dump the "Dynamic (.so) Section" along with
50 the other private PE headers :(.
51
52 i will not investigate on this further if i'm able to extract the
53 information in the future shiny new scanpecoff from pax-utils. if i'm
54 unable to get scanpecoff to read interix binaries by itself, i will try
55 to fix this, so that we can at least use our own objdump instead of the
56 system one...
57
58 Cheers, Markus
61 > > The format used by winnt to model shared library features (rpath,
62 > > needed, etc.) is defined by parity (native win32 does not support those
63 > > out of the box...) - it builds upon the PE/COFF specs, but of course it
64 > > does it's own things :) if you want to know what it does exactly -> ask
65 > > me, as i wrote it ;)

portage-2.2.00.13830-preserve-pecoff.patch text/x-patch