From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] AIX and gcc
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:11:21
Hi Greg,

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 09:55 -0500, Greg Trigg wrote:
> As previously mentioned to certain people, I'm trying to do a Prefix > install on an RS/6000 running AIX 5.2. Unfortunately, the only gcc > package version I've found for 5.2 is IBM offers 4.2.0, but > only for AIX 5.3 and above. Naturally I have a few questions.
You better want to try prefix-launcher[1] to bootstrap Gentoo Prefix on AIX. Use the wiki pages [2] as starting point. Also you might want to use prefix-launcher from svn[3] instead of the release tar-ball, as the latter most likely has outdated package versions. Unfortunately I didn't test it recently myself, so it might be broken ATM, partially maybe because of outdated versions, sorry - but you're welcome to test it on AIX ;) But AFAIK, mduft used svn/trunk on Interix recently... [1] [2] [3]
> > Can xlc be used to install a more recent gcc? Where is xlc installed? > Is it used automatically? Smit claims that it's already installed, but > I can't find it anywhere. > > Is gcc 3.3.2 sufficient to build a more recent gcc?
Any of xlc or gcc-3.3.2 should be sufficient to bootstrap gcc, but prefix-launcher should do that for you. xlc is found as /usr/vac/bin/xlc here.