From: Francois Bissey <francois.bissey@×××××××××××××.nz>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] rap prefix and old kernel (<3.10)
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 00:48:41
So I went and re-installed my ppc64 rap prefix. After
some back and forth I finally reached the end successfully \o/

I have a few things to say but I decided to split this particular
issue because it has wider implication.

The OS is SuSE linux Enterprise Server 11 SP1 and it has kernel
2.6.32. SP3 and SP4 have 3.0 and would also be affected I believe.
2.6.32 is also the kernel of redhat/centos 6 which is still in wide
use.

So rap tried to install glibc 2.25 which was still the highest
version available at the time. Compile went apparently fine until
the install stage. When glibc told me politely but firmly:
FATAL KERNEL TOO OLD
And looking back at the log, it was initially configured to use
2.6.32 as the oldest kernel but the configure script changed that
to 3.10 (If I remember correctly) later during configuration.

After masking 2.25 I did try 2.24, the message was not as clear, there was
a “FATAL” but I don’t think my kernel got insulted that time but it was
the same place. And configure again rewrote the required minimal kernel
version supported.

Masking 2.24 I got down to 2.23 which in the end worked (after some massaging
more about that later).

So message #1 if you have an older kernel (<3.10) the latest glibc
available to you is 2.23. That probably should be in the wiki.

The compiling actually didn’t go without problems. Courtesy of binutils-2.29.1.
There was two issues:
* http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2017-August/199812.html
glibc 2.23 and 2.24 were affected by this issue, I think 2.25 was OK.
glibc takes user patch from etc/portage/patches so adding this was easy.
* an assembly bug specific to ppc that plagued all versions and apparently
was spotted starting binutils-2.27.51. I can send a link to that one as well
but it potentially just affects me unlike the first one.

# message #2 if you are stuck with an older glibc, it may need patching
to deal with newer binutils and possibly other toolchain elements.

Cheers,
François