From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Accepting ~arch keywords in prefix-standalone profiles
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 08:50:50
1 Hi All,
2
3 This is a continuation to
4
5 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.alt/7083
6
7 Fabian wrote:
8
9 > There once was a GLEP and all that, but I'm not sure it's reflecting
10 > reality and all that. When the migration of Prefix to gx86 became
11 > a thing, we made a decision. We used full keywords everywhere: arch-os,
12 > gx86 used arch, just because it always was proper Gentoo Linux.
15 The prefix-standalone (or RAP) is using its own libc independent of the
16 host's. Most of the time, packages with ~ARCH keyword readily work on
17 prefix-standalone, the failing cases only being the build system not
18 respecting ${EPREFIX}.
21 I propose that prefix-standalone (only, not prefix-rpath) taking an
22 implicity keywording policy on linux, i.e. to accept both ~ARCH-linux
23 and ~ARCH.
26 Pros:
27
28 - We save the time filing/resolving keyword request bugs and appending
29 ~ARCH-linux keywords.
30
31 Cons:
32
33 - A non-prefix-ready ebuild will not be masked and bite the
34 prefix-standalone users.
35
36 But I feel such packages are very few by now (need data to support
37 this claim though). When that happens, we file a prefix-support
38 bug.
39
40 Any comments?
41