From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Stating officially with Cygwin
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 10:53:33
1 On 01-10-2010 12:46:48 +0200, Al wrote:
2 > The parity compiler sounds very ambitious and I am curious. On the
3 > other hands I also see the advantages in Microsofts PATH approach.
4 > Dynamic libraries doen't depend on a special path any more and can be
5 > moved around. All you have to do, is to adapt the PATH variable to the
6 > new location. That makes your programs more portable.
7
8 you have a wrong perception of portable to me
9
10 > What I am pondering on, is a relative RPATH, relative to the prefix
11 > path. By this the Prefix installation as a whole could still be moved
12 > around without breaking. You could run a precompiled PREFIX
13 > installation out of different user's home directories.
14
15 You simply can't, because the libraries have paths hardcoded compiled
16 in. That is the whole reason why we decided to "fix" the paths where
17 the libs are and should be found. It's simply not as simple as thinking
18 that if the lib can be found in any place that you've solved all (if not
19 any) of the problems that occur here.
20 As you've found already yourself, on ELF systems, there are a couple of
21 ways of finding libs in other places. However, this is mostly a
22 debugging aid, and often screws up more than it solves.
23
24 chpathtool exists for a reason, but still it's fragile, and won't work
25 on cygwin for sure.
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level