From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Prefix bootstrap state
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 08:45:16
1 All,
2
3 I started last FOSDEM to give the bootstrap process some desparately
4 needed love again.
5
6 Sofar, I've got bootstraps succeed on OpenIndiana x86 and x64. (yay)
7
8 Currently, bootstrap is broken on:
9 - Darwin: it hangs on bash, which DEMANDS readline, despite disabling
10 it, I think the best course of action here is to actually compile
11 readline before bash, but I don't recall why we didn't do that
12 (probably because it used to break).
13 - Solaris 10: the old gcc compiler can't compile
14 baselayout-prefix/libeinfo. I'm about to patch that piece of code
15 tonight so it will compile.
16 - Fedora 17: Python 3 (whatelse) gives problems compiling modules. The
17 oddest one _decimal, which breaks on some weird funcs, but maybe those
18 are arithmetic ones from the compiler that we may or may not have due
19 to the bootstrap setup. Solution might be to block Python 3 during
20 bootstrap stages if it demands a newer compiler or something.
21
22 I intend on running the bootstraps again on OpenIndiana once I fixed the
23 above issues. Any help is welcome of course. Especially now the
24 readline case for Darwin just needs people to try and see if that
25 results in problems for them.
26
27 Over the last few days I've fixed quite some issues caused by implicit
28 dependencies. One reason I think Darwin currently breaks is because it
29 doesn't come with readline (but libedit) while most other systems /do/
30 have readline installed. Similar reason I had a problem with bison on
31 Fedora 17 because its configure demanded perl, and Fedora doesn't
32 install that by default, while most other systems have it around...
33
34 Fabian
37 Fabian Groffen
38 Gentoo on a different level