From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Allow non-interactive bootstrap to be stopped at arbitrary stages
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 02:01:51
1 Hi Sam,
2
3 Sam Pfeiffer <sammypfeiffer@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > To ease automated building and debugging of the bootstrap of Gentoo
6 > Prefix I would like to propose a patch to add the option to stop the
7 > non-interactive bootstrap on specific stages of the bootstrap.
8 >
9 > I'm currently doing this in my CI projects [1][2] and I'd love to have
10 > this added upstream.
11 >
12 > I propose a patch like this:
13 >https://gist.github.com/awesomebytes/3468477c6c90fe3d985372d50aabba9f
14 >
15 > Which is what I'm currently using. It just adds another optional
16 >parameter to the commandline (a 3rd one) in non-interactive mode which
17 >you tell it after which stage to stop (stage1, stage2, stage3).
18
19 > I'm not the most versed person in bash, so maybe there is a more
20 > conceptually beautiful way of doing this. My patch is just a proposal
21 > (that has been tested and running).
22 >
23 > This patch is useful because it allows:
24 > 1) Easier debugging by stages.
25
26 > 2) Allows to split the bootstrap job in parts in CI environments with
27 > time limits on jobs to run (e.g. Azure Pipelines time limit is 6h*,
28 > and the bootstrap takes in between 5h40-6h40 depending on random
29 > things like time to download things, and load on the machine... or
30 > packages just taking longer to build).
31 >
32 > And this patch should not change anything to anyone else (AFAIK).
33
34 Are you aware that in bootstrap-prefix.sh you can specify the stage you
35 are after? e.g.
36
37 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Prefix/Manual_Bootstrap#Stage_1
38
39 The text above that could be outdated, but PATH exports and stage1~3 are
40 correct.
41
42 > Thanks for your time and feedback!
43 >
44 > P.S.: I'm used to the GitHub/GitLab workflow of having a graphical
45 > interface to do a Pull Request... I don't know how to do this with
46 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/proj/prefix.git/ If there is no way,
47 > aside of the goal of this email, I'd propose to have a mirror in
48 > GitHub.
49
50 Yes, that's a good to have for me, but not in high priority.
51
52 > *If you are curious, Stage 1 takes 8min~, Stage 2 takes 29min~, Stage
53 > 3 takes 2h30min~, emerge system takes 2h35min~ on Azure Pipelines,
54 > approximately.
55
56 Thank you so much for all your work! That's extremely helpful to keep
57 the quality of Prefix codebase.
58
59 > [1] https://github.com/awesomebytes/gentoo_prefix_ci
60 > [2] https://github.com/awesomebytes/gentoo_prefix_ci_32b