From: Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] problem installing gentoo prefix on debian buster
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 16:19:36
1 Dear All,
2
3 The installation is getting near completion. Unfortunately portage
4 seems to be compiling gcc 9.1.0-r1 a second time for good
5 measure......
6
7 Regards MF
8
9 On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 11:38, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
10 >
11 > Michael,
12 >
13 > Just to elaborate a bit. There is a newer version of m4, that is
14 > attempted first. However, newer versions of GNU software now require
15 > the xz decompressor to unpack. In your scenario, an old version of m4
16 > is being compiled. One of the reasons for choosing an older version is
17 > because of not being able to unpack the newer versions due to lack of
18 > xz. Odd though, as the latest m4 (1.4.18) is also available as .gz and
19 > bz2.
20 >
21 > We'd need a larger part of the stage1 log to see why the newer versions
22 > didn't work.
23 >
24 > Fabian