From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] profiles arch subs?
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:57:05
1 On 19-05-2009 09:52:52 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > >> Like:
3 > >> darwin/ppc/10.4
4 > >> darwin/x86/10.4
5 > >> darwin/ppc/10.5
6 > >> darwin/x86/10.5
7 > >
8 > > No, just:
9 > >
10 > > darwin/ppc
11 > > darwin/x86
12 > > darwin/10.4/ppc
13 > > darwin/10.4/x86
14 > > darwin/10.5/ppc
15 > > darwin/10.5/x86
16 >
17 > The less inheritance you have, the better/easier it is, IMO. So, I
18 > would greatly prefer what I suggested to what you are suggesting. I
19 > think. The end result is the same besides aesthetics. You can place a
20 > mask in darwin/ppc/package.mask with both methods proposed.
21
22 If I do your way, I have to duplicate masks that hold for a given
23 release of the OS.
24
25 > >> Is that how you are planning to do it? Because I think that makes the
26 > >> most sense. If you look at linux/ - they are linux/<arch>/ (they skip
27 > >> the <release> because it isn't needed)
28 > >
29 > > Well, that's just doing it the other way around?
30 > >
31 > >> Do also realize that this applies to *all* profiles, not just darwin
32 > >> and solaris. Windows look like the only ones that won't need changing
33 > >> because linux.
34 > >
35 > > Hmmm... not sure if other profiles are much in need for it.  Alternative
36 > > is to create a prefix/arch/{x86,ppc,sparc,...}, or maybe even start
37 > > inheriting arch/X.  In principle looks ok, but its linux biased
38 > > sometimes...
39 >
40 > ew. No. prefix/arch/... has no business for us. The reason I say that
41 > other profiles can benefit from my suggestion is when you look at
42 > hpux, it will eventually have hppa and 11.{23,31}/{ia64,hppa} just
43 > doesn't make sense when you need a mask for all hppa for example. The
44 > same with sunos. So, maybe not all, but some profiles can use this
45 > idea.
49 Fabian Groffen
50 Gentoo on a different level