From: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alt <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] OS X 10.4 PPC
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:26:55
1 Hi,
2
3 I've again got a platform support question:
4
5 Has the current base toolchain for PPC
6 (binutils-apple-4.2/gcc-4.2.1_p5666-r2) ever been tested on OS X 10.4 PPC?
7
8 I ran into serious trouble trying to bootstrap my old iBook.
9 binutils-apple-4.2 doesn't compile. After fixing that, it can't link
10 gcc-apple-4.2.1's cc1objplus because the entry __start and main() are
11 more that 16MB apart. This got me on to crt1.o from csu which needs to
12 be compiled with -mlong-branch on 10.4 which is isn't. After fixing that
13 I now get an error that "half word text relocs aren't supported in
14 __start for architecture ppc". I don't even know where to start. :-/
15
16 Trying all this with binutils-apple-3.2, which do compile, doesn't
17 change things either.
18
19 So my guess is that when prefix was working on 10.4 PPC, much more stuff
20 was used from the system directly, such as crt1.o. Perhaps even
21 gcc-4.0.1 was still in use.
22
23 Is someone currently actually using prefix on OS X 10.4 PPC and can help
24 me out?
25
26 Rationale: 10.4 is the ultimate benchmark for self-containedness of
27 prefix because loads of stuff the tools in the prefix need just don't
28 exist in the system yet. It got me on to clang always using the system's
29 libstdc++ for example because that produces warnings because of a
30 mismatching libgcc_s from the prefix.
31 --
32 Thanks!
33 Michael