From: Johan Hattne <johan.hattne@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] x64-macos and profiles
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:15:22
1 On 15 Jan 2010, at 03:25, Heiko Przybyl wrote:
2
3 > On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:50 AM, Johan Hattne wrote:
4 >
5 >> The problem with "invisible" 64 bit profiles went away after reemerging all the eselect stuff (but I still don't understand why "arch=$(arch)" gives x64-macos in the profile.eselect module, while "arch" on the command line gives i386)?
6 >
7 > That's normal for MacOS. Because 'arch - print machine hardware name (same as uname -m)' prints the architecture the machine is running on, which is in your case a 32bit kernel and thus i386. If you'd run the 64bit-kernel you would have something like x86_64 as result. That's the disadvantage(?) of being able to run 64bit applications with a 32bit kernel ;)
8
9 That's a different issue. What I failed to understand is why this
10
11 arch=$(arch)
12 echo "-->${arch}<--" > /dev/stderr
13
14 i.e. just inserting an echo into the find_targets() function of usr/share/eselect/modules/profile.eselect prints
15
16 -->x64-macos<--
17
18 to stderr (which is not what I would have expected usr/bin/arch to output under any circumstances). In the meantime, I've found out.
19
20 // Cheers; Johan